When constant stress on the body is left unchecked, things can start to get wacky. The symptoms of stress impact the whole body and can vary for each individual. Here’s what to watch out for and how chiropractic can help!
- Headaches: Stress hormones cause changes in the body’s blood vessels triggering migraines and tension headaches.
- Sleep Problems: Difficulty quieting your mind or staying asleep affects your body’s sleep cycles, leading to further stress when you are tired, having difficulty concentrating, or your mood is impacted.
- Heart Health: Chronic stress can lead to increased heart rate, high blood pressure, and increased risk of stroke.
- Metabolism and Weight: Cortisol (the stress hormone) has been linked to cravings for sugar and cortisol makes your body hesitant to lose any fat stores.
- Digestive Issues: Heartburn, constipation, diarrhea, and bloating are all ways that your body responds to chronic stress.
- Suppressed Immunity: Chronic stress reduces your body’s ability to fight off germs and foreign pathogens. If you’re already sick- stress can make your symptoms worse!
Where chiropractic care comes in:
A chiropractic adjustment removes interference on the nervous system. Your spine works as a “messaging network” for your nervous system. When there is a “block”, your body isn’t able to respond efficiently, causing MORE stress. Chiropractic care also relieves tension in your muscles (a common symptom of those who are stressed)!