Text neck is the term given for a repetitive stress on the cervical spine from looking downward- like when you are texting.
Common symptoms of text neck can include things like:
- Pain in the neck, upper back, and/or shoulder
- Forward Head Carriage and rounded shoulders
- Reduced mobility in the back or neck
The pains or symptoms associated with text neck can vary based on how frequently one uses devices and the position they use them in. Less common symptoms can include jaw pain or balance issues.
How can you avoid text neck? Exercises, stretches, and better habits- in conjunction with regular chiropractic adjustments- can help set you up for success.
- Raise your phone or computer closer to eye level. The less you have to tilt your head forward, the better.
- Take frequent breaks from your phone or computer.
- Exercise Regularly. A strong, flexible neck and back are better able to handle the stress we place on them.
Be mindful of your posture. Bring your shoulders back and relax them.